Our History

In June 1921, according to the Halifax Courier, a meeting was held in Sowerby Town House ( long since demolished) to discuss the formation of a tennis and bowling club.  A field had been secured above St Peter’s Cricket ground and the expectation was that there would be enough space to create one bowling green and half a dozen tennis courts.  Work on the layout of the ground was started immediately.

In September 1922 Councillor L Whitely, Chairman of Sowerby Bridge Urban District Council, formally opened the new Pavilion and Bowling Green and Sowerby Tennis & Bowling Club was formed.  A photograph, dated 1923, shows members in front of the new Pavilion, to celebrate the club’s centenary a similar photograph was taken earlier this year and the two hang side by side in the pavilion.  It is clear from the photographs that the pavilion has changed very little over the last 100 years.

Over the last 15 years the Club has embarked on an expansive investment programme to improve and update its facilities.  New, all weather tennis courts were laid to replace the old labour intensive shale courts.  The pavilion was doubled in size to provide a main hall, kitchen and bar which allows the Club to hold social events for up to 60 people.  In addition new changing rooms with showers, a kitchen preparation room and office were also created in the extension to the pavilion.  

Over the last few years as the summers have got hotter and dryer a watering system has been  installed to help protect the bowling green surface.  This has allowed STBC to maintain a ‘green’ bowling green through the very hot summers of recent years. Overall the facilities at the club are first class and a credit to all those members who give their time and expertise to maintain them.